Prayer to the Sorrowful Mother
Mary, most holy Virgin and Queen of Martyrs, accept the sincere homage of my filial affection. Into thy Heart, pierced by so many swords, do thou welcome my poor soul. Receive it as the companion of thy sorrows at the foot of the Cross, on which Jesus died for the redemption of the world. With thee, O sorrowful Virgin, I will gladly suffer all the trials, contradictions, and infirmities which it shall please Our Lord to send me. I offer them all to thee in memory of thy sorrows, so that: every thought of my mind and every beat of my heart may be an act of compassion and of love for thee. And do thou, sweet Mother, have pity on me, reconcile me to thy Divine Son, Jesus; keep me in His grace and assist me in my last agony, so that I may be able to meet thee in Heaven and sing thy glories.
Most holy Virgin and Mother, whose soul was pierced by a sword of sorrow in the Passion of thy Divine Son, and who in His glorious Resurrection wast filled with never ending joy at His triumph, obtain for us who call upon thee, so to be partakers in the adversities of Holy Church and the Sorrows of the Sovereign Pontiff, as to be found worthy to rejoice with them in the consolations for which we pray, in the charity and peace of the same Christ our Lord. Amen.
The Seven Sorrows
1. The prophecy of Simeon.
3. The loss of the Child Jesus in the temple.
4. The meeting of Jesus and Mary on the Way of the Cross.
5. The Crucifixion.
6. The taking down of the Body of Jesus from the Cross.
7. The burial of Jesus.
Some Ways to Observe the Feast day
* Begin the day by saluting Our Blessed Mother under the title "Mother of Sorrows." Pray one or more of the prayers in honor of her sorrow throughout the day. Attend Mass if at all possible. Pray the rosary.
* See if you have a purple veil to add to a family statue of the Blessed Mother, or a wreath of purple and black flowers, as a reminder that this is a day to compassionate with our Heavenly Mother.
* Catholic Icing has some nice craft ideas for the feast day, including a Seven Sorrows mobile that is simple for children to put together. (We'll be doing this one, I think.)
* Catholic Cuisine has shared numerous recipes and ideas for celebrating this feast day.
* Observe, if possible, a hushed silence through the day, behaving as you would if you shared your rooms with someone grieving. Omit sweets today if they haven't already been offered up for Lent. Or perhaps add some other special sacrifice to the day to help everyone remain mindful. Maybe drink nothing but water. If there are children at home, have them memorize the Seven Sorrows if they haven't already done so. For an art lesson, they could illustrate one or several of them. Alternatively, two coloring pages follow. Just click and print: