Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Speaking of Sunshine...


Christmas day, December 25th, 2014, exactly two months ago, 
the sun rose (in Denver) at 7:19 a.m. and set at 4:40 p.m.

Today, February 25th, 2015  (my sis, Nina's, birthday)
the sun rose (in Denver, where she lives) at 6:40 a.m. and set at 5:46 p.m.

If my calculations are correct (please do feel free to check up on me!), 
this means that we had only 9 hours and 21 minutes of sunlight in December
and today, we will have 11 hours and 6 minutes of sunlight!

That's an hour and forty-five minutes more sunshine in only two months!


BUT...  March 8th, about a week and a half from today, marks the end of Daylight Savings Time...
Which, if I remember correctly means we lose an hour.  (Spring forward; fall back, right?)

SO... (I had to talk this through with the kids to get it straight, but I think that) we'll continue to gain 2 to 3 minutes a day more light through March, so that by March 25th, the day will be 12 hours and 21 minutes long -- but the daylight will occur an hour later, which means that on March 25th,  the sun will set at 7:17 p.m.!

Me and Nina at about 6 and 3 years old.
Doesn't she look like a little doll?

But, the long and short of it is, Nina, that the sun will shine on your birthday for 11 hours and 6 minutes today.  And it only gets better from here!  Happy birthday, sis!  I love you!

No comments: