Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!


I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. ~Abraham Lincoln


One of the very few reasons I had any respect for my mother when I was thirteen was because she would reach into the sink with her bare hands - bare hands - and pick up that lethal gunk and drop it into the garbage. To top that, I saw her reach into the wet garbage bag and fish around in there looking for a lost teaspoon. Bare hands - a kind of mad courage. ~Robert Fulghum
It's not easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it. ~From the television show The Golden Girls
With what price we pay for the glory of motherhood. ~Isadora Duncan
The only mothers it is safe to forget on Mother's Day are the good ones. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960
Grown don't mean nothing to a mother. A child is a child. They get bigger, older, but grown?
What's that suppose to mean? In my heart it don't mean a thing. ~Toni Morrison, Beloved, 1987
Now, as always, the most automated appliance in a household is the mother. ~Beverly Jones
Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease. ~Lisa Alther
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? ~Milton Berle
When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty
An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy. ~Spanish Proverb
Women's Liberation is just a lot of foolishness. It's the men who are discriminated against. They can't bear children. And no one's likely to do anything about that. ~Golda Meir
Some mothers are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together. ~Pearl S. Buck
A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~Tenneva Jordan
Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love. ~Mildred B. Vermont

4 comments:

Santiago Chiva de Agustín said...

Hello. Congratulations for your blog. Do you know why the young people pray the holy rosary? You can watch here fifty testimonies of young university students
(in Spanish, with english subtitles)
See it: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=YxjjyXhO9EA

Santiago (Granada, Spain)
http://opinionciudadano.blogspot.com/

Kaila said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Bia said...

Happy Mother's Day, Lisa. I love those quotes by Lincoln and Sophia Loren.

God bless.

SuzyQ said...

Oh I love these!
Happy (belated) Mother's day Lisa.