Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Feast of the Seven Sorrows of Our Blessed Mother
September 15th
Prayer to Our Lady of Sorrows
By St. Bridget
O Blessed Virgin Mary, Immaculate Mother of God, who didst endure a martyrdom of love and grief, beholding the sufferings and sorrows of Jesus! Thou didst co-operate in the benefit of my redemption by thy innumerable afflictions and by offering to the Eternal Father His only-begotten Son as a holocaust and victim of propitiation for my sins. I thank thee for the unspeakable love which led thee to deprive thyself of the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus, true God and true Man, to save me, a sinner. Oh! make use of the unfailing intercession of thy sorrows with the Father and the Son. that I may steadfastly amend my life and never again crucify my loving Redeemer by new sins; arid that, persevering till death in His grace, I may obtain eternal life through the merits of His Cross and Passion. Amen.
Mother of love, of sorrow, and of mercy, pray for us.
The Seven Sorrows
First Sorrow: The Presentation
Second Sorrow: the Flight into Egypt
Third Sorrow: The Loss of Jesus in Jerusalem
Fourth Sorrow: Mary Meets Jesus on the Via Dolorosa
Fifth Sorrow: Mary at the Foot of the Cross
Sixth Sorrow: Mary Receives Jesus' body a it is Taken From the Cross
Seventh Sorrow: Jesus is Laid in the Tomb

The devotions and promises for those who meditate on the Sorrows of Our Lady can be found here. And here are the details of the Chaplet of the Sorrowful Mother. Last year I wrote a modern mom's meditation on the Seven Sorrows, which can be found here, and I posted the boys singing the Stabat Mater last Lent right here.

Mother of Sorrows, pray for us in this vail of tears!

No comments: