Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Feast of St Mary Magdalene


When Mary Magdalen came to the tomb and did not find Our Lord's body, she thought it had been taken away and so informed the disciples. After they came and saw the tomb, they too believed what Mary had told them. The text then says: "The disciples went back home," and it adds:
"but Mary wept and remained standing outside the tomb." We should reflect on Mary's attitude and the great love she felt for Christ; for though the disciples had left the tomb, she remained. She was still seeking the one she had not found, and while she sought she wept; burning with the fire of love, she longed for him who she thought had been taken away. And so it happened that the woman who stayed behind to seek Christ was the only one to see him. For perseverance is essential to any good deed, as the voice of truth tell us: "Whoever perseveres to the end will be saved."
~ From a homily by Pope Saint Gregory the Great

* A post listing the Biblical facts about St. Mary Magdalene 
and a number of customs for the day can be found here.
*

St. Mary Magadalene is the patron saint of:
apothecaries
Atrani, Italy
Casamicciola, Italy
contemplative life,
converts,
druggists,
glove makers
hair dressers
La Magdeleine, Italy
penitent sinners
women ridiculed for their piety
Perfumeries
perfumers
pharmacists
reformed prostitutes
temptations agains purity
tanners
women, in general

*

Coloring Pages for the day:
Free image to copy and print

A medieval engraving, depicting Christ appearing to Mary Magdalene, free to copy and print.
* An online coloring page can be found here.

* A printable coloring page of Mary Magdalene at the tomb of Jesus can be downloaded here.

Prayer to St. Mary Magdalene
by St. Anselm 

St Mary Magdalene, you came with springing tears to the spring of mercy, Christ; from him your burning thirst was abundantly refreshed through him your sins were forgiven; by him your bitter sorrow was consoled.

 My dearest lady, well you know by your own life how a sinful soul can be reconciled with its creator, what counsel a soul in misery needs, what medicine will restore the sick to health.

 It is enough for us to understand, dear friend of God, to whom were many sins forgiven, because she loved much.

 Most blessed lady, I who am the most evil and sinful of men do not recall your sins as a reproach, but call upon the boundless mercy by which they were blotted out.

 This is my reassurance, so that I do not despair; this is my longing, so that I shall not perish.I say this of myself, miserably cast down into the depths of vice, bowed down with the weight of crimes, thrust down by my own hand into a dark prison of sins, wrapped round with the shadows of darkness.

 Therefore, since you are now with the chosen because you are beloved and are beloved because you are chosen of God, 1, in my misery, pray to you, in bliss; in my darkness, I ask for light; in my sins, redemption; impure, I ask for purity.

Recall in loving kindness what you used to be, how much you needed mercy, and seek for me that same forgiving love that you received when you were wanting it. Ask urgently that I may have the love that pierces the heart; tears that are humble; desire for the homeland of heaven; impatience with this earthly exile; searing repentance; and a dread of torments in eternity.

Turn to my good that ready access that you once had and still have to the spring of mercy.

Draw me to him where I may wash away my sins; bring me to him who can slake my thirst; pour over me those waters that will make my dry places fresh. You will not find it hard to gain all you desire from so loving and so kind a Lord, who is alive and reigns and is your friend.

Amen.


No comments: