Monday, December 7, 2009

Light a Candle Today

Preferably a beeswax candle, but any candle will do -- but today is a good day to light one before an image of the Blessed Mother in honor of the feast of  Great St. Ambrose, First Doctor of the Church, Patron of the Veneration of Mary, Patron of Beekeepers and Candle Makers.


St. Ambrose presided over the Council of Milan in 340, at which the doctrine and title were affirmed of "Mary Ever Virgin."  Isn't the wisdom of the Church so perfect in its placement of our feast days?  It's so wonderfully appropriate in these days of Advent, and most especially on this vigil of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception,  to remember St. Ambrose and his quest to promote devotion to Mary, and especially the virginity of Mary!  And, in this season of lights, how wonderful to be able to remember this great saint of God by  using his iconic symbolism -- a beeswax candle -- to honor the Mother of God!  So simple, but so perfect.


Prayer of St. Ambrose


Lord, teach me to seek You, and reveal Yourself to me when I seek You.  For I cannot seek You unless You first teach me, nor find You, unless You first reveal Yourself to me.
 

Let me seek You in longing, and long for You in seeking.
Let me find You in love, and love You in finding.

Amen.


Homeschoolers' Note:  Beehive coloring page here.

1 comment:

The Jaracz Family said...

cool! thanks for the info, we keep bees and I was wondering about this!