Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Overhauling the Machinery, 2014

My New Year's Resolution

I figured I had from the beginning of December,
The start of the Liturgical year,
To January 1st, to consider
How to be a convincing resolutioneer...

I thought I'd give up coffee
and my addiction to the java bean
Until my children, on the blessed feast of Christmas,
Gave me an Espresso Machine.


So much for that.
+
One always considers a diet
For starting out a bouncing fat baby new year
But even when I really do try that
I can never perservere.

(Seriously. Not with the ever-tempting presence
of coffee creamer, chocolate, and beer...)


So much for that.
+
It crossed my mind to work on immediately pertinent virtues
Like patience, long-suffering, and peace,
These being lifetime values
That would serve well my popularity to increase.

(If only I didn't have
So many opportunities
To be a cranky ole crab
While dutying my motherly duties...)


So, yeah, there's that.
+
But the virtues are like cogs fit together
The little virtues powered by the great;
The small vital wheels like patience and long-suffering
Turn by the three first Graces: Love, hope, and faith.

So I'm overhauling the machinery this new year;
I'm going to try to get the first cog cleaned and greased
In the hopes that by working on the Faith gear
All the other virtues will be increased!

Near Year's Resolution, 2014:  Meditating on, working on, praying for Faith
(And trying not to OD on espressos and cappuccinos...)


Happy Holy New Year to Everyone!

And may all our resolutions make Heaven smile --
in pleased anticipation, 
not in amused disbelief!


"Now faith is the substance of things to be hoped for, the evidence of things that are not seen. . . . And without faith it is impossible to please God." (Heb. 11 :1,6)

** Dan's comment upon reading this: "It's not Walt Whitman, but it's cute.  Cute."  Heehee!  Working on my humility, too!  Thanks, Dan. ;)

No comments: