Wednesday, October 17, 2012

News From Ireland

So, got a text from Dominic first thing this morning -- and I do mean first thing.  Though I didn't actually see it until 6 a.m., Dominic had landed and sent me an AOK at 1 a.m. our time (8 a.m. Dublin time).  He had previously told us that he had misgivings about the seatmate he was going to be cozy with for the eight hour flight from Atlanta to Ireland, so, when he got settled at the airport, he updated us on that and gave us just a teaser of additional information.  I quote:
OK well the trip wasn't actually that bad!  It was pleasant.  That guy was fairly nice just a little weird...  but nice... oober tired now though! :/  Haven't really checked into the bus stuff yet, but I got a pretty good idea of it.  It also looks like it will be quite easy to find Michelle when she comes in!  All is good.  Looks like it's going to be nice weather today!

Shew!  OK.  Finally got word.  But, then, after that -- nothing.  No word about whether he'd found Michelle.  No word about whether they'd found the right bus and made it to Dublin.  Nothing.  Argh!

So, not wanting to start the kids' trip out as a worry-wart nagging Mom, I waited a while.

Phone in my pocket.  Checking for messages every five minutes -- until about 8 a.m. -- when I sent Dominic a text asking for an update.  But still nothing.  So I waited patiently.

A little while later.  I sent another text.

Nothing.  I was starting to get a little apprehensive by this time.... (Had you guessed?)  Planning out trans-Atlantic search party scenarios...

Tried calling Dominic's phone at around 9 a.m., but only got his recorded message.  I left a little hint that we'd sure like to know what was going on with them...  Said morning prayers with the kids (a little late because I was a zombie from being up since 6 a.m....), read the biography of St. Margaret Mary with the kids, and started in on Colorado history...

Stopped at around 10 a.m. to try and call again. And struck gold:  Dominic answered!  And very nonchalantly told us, "Oh, yeah.  I was going to text you.  But, I had bad coverage, then I forgot."

He forgot.

 Not like I'm surprised, mind you.  The excitement of the adventure, the hectic pace, the Irish brogues all around me... I'd prob'ly forget to call home, too.  Anyway, he went on to tell us that he'd met Michelle, easily finding her at the airport, but that the two of them had become "hopelessly lost," finding their way to Dublin. Those two.  Lost on a bus circling  Dublin. Can't help smiling and rolling my eyes at that.

"You gave away our rooms?!"
 Anyway, so they found their way to their hotel.  And, go figure: even though they had their reservation printout in their hot little hands with Wednesday and Thursday night clearly reserved, the guy at the front desk said their rooms weren't in his computer until Friday.  Whatever.  Because it was actually a blessing..  Turns out the "Barry Hotel," though it advertises itself as being "historic," is actually "old and fleabitten."  They were glad to go across the street and get a room at a much nicer hotel for only a few dollars more.  No doubt; some heavenly patrons are looking out for them.

So, anyway -- I got that much out of him and I didn't want to talk too long  (it was costing me $1 a minute), but we gleaned that the kids are having a wonderful time, that they had taken some "awesome" pictures that they were reportedly going to text to us, and that they were at that moment sitting down to dinner at an Irish pub called Maddigans.  Dominic was having the lamb stew; Michelle was having Guinness Pot Pie.  One or both of them (they were a little fuzzy at this point) had pints of Guinness in their hands.  And all was good.

Haven't heard from them since.  Haven't received the picture texts.  And we all thing it was very rude of them to tease us that way.  Hopefully, though, they'll find some wifi and get hooked up with us tomorrow.  (St. Isidore, patron of the internet and Dominic's Confirmation saint, please intercede that they can get some internet coverage and send us messages tomorrow!)

Still waiting...

As for us here in Colorado....  Here's what was for dinner tonight! Another selection from traditional Irish fare:

Busy Irish Ma's Beef Pot Pie


2 unbaked frozen pie crusts
2 cups water
3 cubes beef buillon
1 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1 15 oz bag frozen or 15 oz canned mixed veges
2 cups cubed beef  (we used cube steak)
salt and pepper


1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Grease bottom of 1 1/2 qt pan, and fit one pie crust in bottom and up sides.
3.  Bring water and buillon cubes to a boil.
4. Mix milk and flour together (I did this in the blender, but shaking in a closed jar works fine)
5.  When buillon cubes dissolve, reduce heat and add the butter and  milk, flour mixture.
6. Stir until this mixture thickens (only about 5 minutes or so)
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add veges (canned, as is, but drained; frozen, steamed and drained)  and meat to the gravy,
and mix together.
9.  Pour into pan lined with the pie crust and fit the 2nd on top.  Add a couple vent slits.
10.  Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.

William says:  Yum!  It is SO good!  (And William is picky!)

1 comment:

auntie said...

Praise St. Bride he got there and they met up. The heavens will continue to be stormed on their and your behalf. Keep up the posts!