Monday, September 12, 2011

Simple Woman, September 12th

Outside my window… it's overcast and cool. The Grand Mesa is fuzzy with morning haze  There's a jumprope tied from the swingset to a tree in the back yard and a paper cup helicopter on the lawn.

I am hearing...  Children getting ready for school:  Gabe freaking out because he can't find his missal, Theresa quietly flipping pages as she works on some catch-up school work, William, dressed and ready to go to school, making little boy noises as he plays with his little zoo animals...

I am thinking… I'm so glad I have a good stretch of time before I have to leave home-sweet-home again.    After this busy summer, I have a lot to get under control in my house  before the next outing...

I am thankful for… coffee.
One of my favorite things… Pumpkin Spice Latte.  Had my first of the season at Starbux yesterday, compliments of Gabe -- who gave me $3 for just that purpose -- in a sweet little hand made birthday card.  Tasted especially good since it was compliments of Gabe, and Starbux makes a good Pumpkin Spice Latte, but we actually like home-made better.  Gonna have to round up the ingredients for our own...


From the kitchen…  Zucchini Boats One good solution for monstro zucchinis (from a friend's garden -- as we weren't around enough this summer to put a garden in.)

Ingredients:

4 zucchini, halved lengthwise
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
5 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oreganoSalt and pepper
6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan chees

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Using a small spoon, scoop out the zucchini flesh, leaving a 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick shell. Wrap the zucchini flesh in a paper towel and squeeze out any excess liquid; discard the liquid and set aside the flesh. Place the zucchini shells cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add the zucchini flesh and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the bread crumbs, and toast the bread crumbs for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the nuts and oregano, then combine with the vegetables; season with salt and pepper.

3. Flip over the zucchini shells and line the bottoms with the mozzarella. Pack in the filling. Sprinkle the parmesan on top. Bake until the zucchini is tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes.

I am wearing... Teal striped blouse, grey flannel A-line skirt, black tennies.

I am going… on a Civil War tour of Pennsylvania with my sis, Ninam, and cousin, Mick the second week of October.

I am reading…  Tilted Halos, by Robert Eimer, O.M.I.  Older book, Imprimater, 1964 -- a gift to us from Fr. Bernard -- all about the humor of the saints.   Great read!  Highly recommended if you ever come across a copy.

I am hoping…  I have the gumption and stick-to-it-iveness to actually get on a good health regimen -- to feel better and lose weight before the upcoming October trip! (Ugh.  How I hate dieting...)

A few plans for the rest of the week...  Laundry, laundry, laundry.  Chiropractor appointment tomorrow afternoon.  Getting into a good groove with my little homeschooler, Cathy!

Some picture thoughts I 'm sharing...

 What do you think of Kindergarten, William?





1 comment:

auntie said...

Can I have him? Maybe just borrow him? When you go to PA you won't be that far from me. How I wish we could meet, like in person, face to face and all that. Hugs to your littles and I hope you get to stay at home for a long stretch before the next trip.