Really. This is so good! It includes the most unlikely ingredients -- asparagus and roasted red bell peppers, of all things, so we were skeptical at first... But we're really glad we gave it a go, because this meatless meal is a total keeper! Even the kids loved it. Perfect for Friday, but super delicious any time! It's on our permanent rotating menu now. :)
Awesome Asparagus Sandwich
|Yummy with cracked-pepper and tomato basil|
flavored chips and New Belgium Brewery's
"1554"-- or Root Beer for the younger crowd.
1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Toss asparagus and red pepper with olive oil. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake until tender, about 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, remove skin from the pepper and slice into strips.
3. Cut hoagie rolls in half, place on a baking sheet, and toast lightly in the oven. Remove rolls from the oven and sprinkle each half with cheese. Place 4 to 5 asparagus spears and a few strips of pepper on one side. Place slices of tomato on the other side of the roll. Place the hoagies back in the oven until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and garlic together. Spread the dressing on one side of the roll and close sandwich.
* We found this at All-recipes!