Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Feast of Corpus Christi

Some Quotes from the Saints for the Day

"What wonderful majesty! What stupendous condescension! O sublime humility! That the Lord of the whole universe, God and the Son of God, should humble Himself like this under the form of a little bread, for our salvation"

"...In this world I cannot see the Most High Son of God with my own eyes, except for His Most Holy Body and Blood."


- St. Francis of Assisi

~+~

"Do you realize that Jesus is there in the tabernacle expressly for you - for you alone? He burns with the desire to come into your heart...don't listen to the demon, laugh at him, and go without fear to receive the Jesus of peace and love...

"Receive Communion often, very often...there you have the sole remedy, if you want to be cured. Jesus has not put this attraction in your heart for nothing..."

"The guest of our soul knows our misery; He comes to find an empty tent within us - that is all He asks."

- St. Therese of Lisieux

~+~
Notes from someone not a saint...

The day passed so quickly today, I almost missed posting on this great feast. I've been "drive by" blogging lately; with all the busy-ness around here, I've been scheduling posts ahead of time, and I'm not always on the ball about what the feast is for each date, so sometimes I scramble. I'm scrambling now. But, I still have a few hours left on this day that honors Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, so I hope you don't mind if I share what I've been thinking about it. I was weeding the peas today (great meditation spot, the pea patch) and thinking about the feast day and some of the news I've read and heard, and random conversations I've had over the last few weeks, on and off the internet, and one thought struck me: All the Catholic activism in the world is meaningless outside of the mystery celebrated today.

To champion the cause of the unborn is a highly graced and very important mission; to fight against the evil of Sodom and Gamorrah is vital; to donate our time, money and votes to political causes and candidates toward reinstituting morality in our country is not only good work, but a necessity; to sacrifice for our homes and families, fighting against convention to preserve the innocence and faith of our children is the highest of callings, but, do we sometimes allow these pursuits to become our faith? Most Catholics support all these goals, some with wonderful passion, and it's good that we do. But it all means nothing without Our Lord. All these good things need to be accomplished for Him and through Him; nothing of lasting value can be done without Him. Jesus must be at the center of everything we do.

His image should be on the standard for all our noble causes. And the best and most true likeness of Him, the one which encompasses all that He Is, we find elevated above the altar at the Consecration, where He gives Himself to us in the sacrament of the Eucharist. If we hold this image of Him higher than the banners of all our other causes, and most especially, if we keep a permanent place in our hearts ready for Him in the Blessed Sacrament, we've already won a personal victory. Everything else will follow in His good time.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for reminding me of the day because it is our last day of school and we don't have real classes but we will have Mass, and I KNOW the priest is going to ask our kids what the day is.
Mine will know.
Thank you LISA.

Blessings each day said...

Wonderful post!

You took the words out of my mouth...have always remembered the acronym JOY to keep life on its Heavenly track...J is for Jesus, first and foremost in everything, O is for others and other very important things in this world to care for and defend etc., then Y is for you, for God does want us to remember the love He bears for us and that we should care for ouselves as well. BUT the order of things is what makes us who we should be.

blessings and hugs,

marcy

SQUELLY said...

I know I am a day late - but such a wondeful post! Thanks!