Friday, November 30, 2012

On the Feast of St. Andrew


While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Immediately they left their nets and followed him.    Matthew 4:18-20

The Calling of Saint Peter and Saint Andrew, James Tissot c.1889

So, honest to goodness.  I had it in my mind to copy out the scriptural quotes where Our Lord first met St. Andrew and his brother, St. Peter, fishing and I wanted a good classical painting to go with it. So, I flexed my button-pressing fingers and did a quick online hunt -- figuring that Biblical artist, James Tissot, if noone else, might be good for one.  And so he was.  I found this scene of the calling of Andrew and Peter by Tissot, and followed the link to its original blog location, where I found a kindred spirit! -- Who had already done exactly what I'd planned to do.  Katy at The Church Year in the Home has already done the basic research, cultural background and project ideas for us! She even linked to two great  coloring pages.  Yay for her! Yay for us!   :0)  Run over and have a look.  

On a personal note, I'm not expecting that I'll actually be home today on the Feast of St. Andrew, as I'm slated to hang out for a week in Denver helping my brother who just had back surgery (and it's Saturday afternoon now, as I type this out_)...  But Dominic is home with the rest of the children, and will be using the lesson plans I put together before I leave.  This post -- or rather -- Katy's post -- will be providing the afternoon projects for Friday while I'm gone.  I won't have to twist their arms to get them to bake shortbread as it's suggested.  And  I  wouldn't be at all surprised if the little boys got out some golf clubs...  Though fishing poles might actually be more appropriate.  It being Friday, though, it's the perfect opportunity for them to cook up the Tilapia I have in the freezer... Don't need to catch it, just have to dig in and find it...

Blessings to All and Happy Nameday to all Andrews out there!

No comments: