Saturday, January 22, 2011

On the 38th Anniversary

Today marks the anniversary of the decision of our American Legal System allowing the murder of innocent life in the womb.   Millions of words have been written condemning the Roe v. Wade ruling in an effort to save the lives of babies.  And there is no doubt that these appeals have saved babies in individual cases, thank God, but, in the big picture, our world is still blind to the evil it's allowing.  Just as in the days when the evil of slavery soiled our world, the conscience of our culture needs to be awakened and retaught in this matter, equally as grave, if not more so -- because the sin goes beyond the de-valuing of life that we saw when another human could "own" another -- to the legalized destruction of life for the convenience of another.

These are truly sad times -- not just because such a thing as abortion exists, because it's been around since the beginning, but because it's accepted and even celebrated. God help us.

But, no sense wasting more words here on truths that anyone visiting me likely sees already. I know I'm preaching to the choir. But a reminder today to pray that the crime of abortion will be seen as just that -- a crime -- sometime soon in our country. Only God knows how this change of heart and laws can take place. So, we join all the faithful people of our country and our world today in praying for His interference to save the lives of babies -- to save the souls of their mothers.

The offering of the Mass and the daily rosary are our strongest weapons against evil, but here is another prayer, written by the National Director of Priests for Life that encourages a commitment to action along with prayer. 

Prayer to End Abortion
(by Fr. Frank Pavone, National Director Priests for Life.)

Lord God, I thank you today for the gift of my life, And for the lives of all my brothers and sisters. I know there is nothing that destroys more life than abortion, Yet I rejoice that you have conquered death by the Resurrection of Your Son. I am ready to do my part in ending abortion. Today I commit myself Never to be silent, Never to be passive, Never to be forgetful of the unborn. I commit myself to be active in the pro-life movement, And never to stop defending life Until all my brothers and sisters are protected, And our nation once again becomes A nation with liberty and justice Not just for some, but for all, Through Christ our Lord. Amen!




1 comment:

Aubrey said...

I'm sickened when I think of how many people were not given the chance to live past gestation measurable in weeks. I was born in 1978. How many of my classmates were lost to the evil of abortion? How many were lost because their mothers were scared, or knew no better? How many of my children's classmates were lost? Oh, the loss is immeasurable. God forgive us!