Monday, February 21, 2022

Simple Woman Scribblings

Monday, February 21st

Outside my window... It's a little overcast, but in the 50s -- warm enough that our granddaughters' voices arrested my attention first thing this morning when I was putting on a pot of tea -- and I had to go from window to window of the tiny house to figure out where they were. They were out back on the trampoline with Monica. 😊 It's supposed to be cold and possibly snowy the rest of the week, so theywere out enjoying the nice weather while they can! (The question is: what am I doing inside?)

What I'm wearing... midcalf, a-line, black jersey skirt (so comfortable!) over black leggins (cold this morning!); a short-sleeved, cranberry mock turtleneck, under a white, black and cranberry plaid, flannel over shirt. Reading glasses on my head.

What I'm reading... I'm on a little walk through the literature of my younger years, re-reading the Mary Roberts Rinehart mysteries I enjoyed as a teenager. I'm almost finished with 'The Man in Lower Ten,' and just received in the mail a collection of Mary Roberts Rinehart's "romances." From Abebooks, for less than $9: copyright 1918, superb condition, with its original book jacket! Do I enjoy the stories as much as I did 40 years ago? YES!

In the Kitchen... Chicken noodle soup on the stove. Just did a bunch of juicing to help with the ongoing endeavor of lowering my chronic high blood pressure naturally. We're doing a homeopathic regimen that has helped tremendously, and added to our usual juicing routine (cukes, celery, lemons, and ginger) a root crop I have avoided most of my life: beets. Cutting them up and processing them looked like a murder scene 😅, but the beets lent almost no taste -- just color! (which is still under my fingernails...)

In the Garden... Nothing coming up yet, of course --  but something is going up: a greenhouse! Inexpensive, but a trial run. If it turns out to be something we actually use, we may replace it with something more substantial. Hoping to get some early seeds going before mid-March! 

Here's Dominic and his little helper, putting it together.

Me. But not me.
How I'm spending my days these days... Dan and I have been trying to support our son, Kevin (he's the one who lives in Bavaria, with his wife, Ina, and our granddaughter, Sophia) in growing his Catholic Podcast station, with the aim of developing and sharing traditional Catholic content -- in a somewhat folksy and informal way, but one that is approachable and accessible and which might serve to help those Catholics, especially, who are seeking the faith in the midst of the chaos in Rome -- and those Catholics who, for so many reasons, feel isolated in this worldly world. 

Part of my informal duties have been in researching content, helping boost viewership (for instance, making ads! Which is fun!), being a somewhat reluctant live participant in some podcast discussions and interviews -- but more recently, in developing my own little corner of the station, where I share my own observations, opinions, tips, tricks, and lives of the saints. Much of this information, I glean from this blog. There's almost nothing I haven't written about on here! Momcasts are my territory, as are the Lives of the Saints and Mysteries of the Catholic Church. If you've been a long term visitor here at AWTY, you may recognize some of the content of these podcasts! Let me know if there's anything you think would make a good show! As soon as I get over this laryngitis I've picked up, I'll be recording again. Find The Catholic Family Podcasts here.

In the Spiritual Life... I just love this prayer (following). I found it in WWII era prayer book that turned up in the flotsam and jetsam of my upturned household recently. 😊 There is no imprimatur, but it's obviously pious and edifying -- and covers, well, just everything! Great for after Mass -- or any time.

Petitions After Mass

May these infinite graces of Mass and Communion extend throughout all the world, wherever Thy grace and help are needed.

May they extend to all the souls in Purgatory; especially to the souls of those who were dear to me in this life. (Here mention those deceased for whom you wish especially to pray.)

May these graces extend to all Thy Church on earth; to Pope, Bishops, priests and Religious, all who are striving for their own salvation and perfection, and who are trying to win souls to Thee. Give strength and efficacy to their words and their works that they may be the instruments of salvation to many.

May these graces extend to all who are persecuted for their Faith throughout the world; grant that peace may come to them, that they may have the consolations of Thy Church.

May these graces extend to all the souls outside Thy Church, especially to those in whom I am personally interested. May they extend to all poor sinners who have neglected, forgotten and abandoned Thee.

May these graces extend to all those who will die today. St. Joseph, Foster Father of the Son of God, and earthly Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, pray for us, and for all those who will die today.

May these graces extend to all the sick, all who are in pain and suffering; lay Thy healing Hand upon them, dear Lord, give them relief and comfort, patience and courage, strength and resignation.

May these graces extend to all the tempted, all the sad and sorrowful, all who are distressed, disheartened and discouraged -- and there are so many in these days of hardship who know not where to turn for help but to Thee. Do Thou help them, O Lord, and give them relief.

May these graces extend to all who have the destiny of nations in their hands, turn their minds to thoughts of God, that we may have a true and lasting peace.

May these graces extend to the members of my family, to all my relatives, friends and benefactors, to all who have asked my prayers and commended themselves to my prayers.

May these graces go with me this day and keep me safe in temptations and preserve me in Thy love and friendship. Amen.

A picture thought for the day...

Dan and I got to babysit six of the eleven grandchildren -- Michelle and Bens four and Dominic and Monica's two -- while they went to a ballroom dance class offered by a church member. (How cool is that? Both the dance class and that Dan and I can still drum up the skills! 😉) Pictured: with me, Clara; then Margaret, Quinn, Daria, Claudia, and Ella's knees. All under six!

No comments: