Thursday, May 16, 2019

In Praise of Mary

For the Month of May

I fain would sing a sweet new song
Thy loving Heart to greet,
I fain would cull the flowers fair,
And lay them at thy feet.
And of the precious virgin-gold
And shining jewels rare,
Would form a royal diadem, 
To grace thy forehead fair.

But ah! The heart-strings seem unstrung
And faint the music now,
I cannot place a golden crown
Upon thy queenly brow.
The first flowers fade too soon --
What shall the offerings be
From this poor exiled child of earth
O purest Heart, to thee?

I offer all the burning love
Of Jesus' Heart for thine,
And in the golden censer place
The little spark of mine.
And these, O Heart Immaculate,
Shall be my gifts to thee;
Oh I pray thy sweetest Son to grant
His love and thine to me.


- Anon
Taken from Volume I of the Carmelite Review, 1893, August Edition

No comments: