Thursday, March 14, 2019

Meanwhile, in the Midwest

For He commandeth and raiseth the stormy wind, 

which lifteth up the waves...

- Psalms 107:25-30


It's a little wet here in Iowa.

Everyone in our little rural community gets the day off today, because ain't nobody going nowhere. Portions of I-29, I-80, and I-680, the chief thoroughfares that surround our home in the hills lie quiet and still, save for the lapping of water on the low places, and countless county roads and farmers' fields are now covered by inland seas. Our house is on high ground and our property drains nicely, so we're literally high and dry, but there are no roads clear to get out, as of this writing. I expect it won't take long for the waters to recede and be gathered to one place, and let the dry land appear, but I don't think it'll be today.  Ask me how sad I am about this. (winking)

Such a lovely novelty, having Anna and Dan home in the middle of the day, safe and dry, though (through the negligible good fortune of an internet connection), Dan's working from home, and Cathy is stranded over at Michelle's -- something they're all perfectly pleased about, to be sure. But Anna and I are loving life. It's a soft, gray, drizzly day, so we're having Guinness Stew and homemade bread for dinner and we're keeping Brown Betty full of tea, and hunkering down with books, and letting the rest of the world just float on by.

Stay dry, my friends!

No comments: