Thursday, January 7, 2021

Nicknames -- Or a Rose By Any Other Name, Still Costs Twenty Bucks A Dozen at Sam's


 When we were children, none of the men in our lives called us by our given names -- unless we were in trouble. My paternal grandfather (we called him "Pappy") called me "Grandma" because I was his oldest grandaughter; my maternal grandfather (we called him "Poppop") didn't call us anything because there were so many of us grandkids and he couldn't keep us straight; my Dad (we called
him "Dad," sometimes "Daddy," always "Sir") called me "Goose" because I was a silly goose, and probably because I had a pretty good honker from infancy. None of us ever minded these nicknames; because Pappy and Dad chose them especially for each of us, they were a kind of badge of honor a sign of our unique relationships. That's a big deal in a large family.

When Dan and I started having children, we were careful to choose names that couldn't be shortened in ways we didn't like. At least that was the idea. We didn't want the children to be saddled with a name that was the burden, so our first child was carefully christened Paul Joseph.  How could you mess that up, right? Yeah. Well, we immediately took to calling him "Pauliwog." Nobody dares call him that now, though. (Except sometimes his Momma, who has his number in her cell phone under that moniker...) And now he's "Dad," of course, to his three children.

Then there was Kevin Christopher. That was surely a foolproof name. But he went by "Kevvy"
almost from day one. And Kevvy actually prefers to be called that. Suits his casual temperament, I guess. And his nom de plum in the sports writing business is "Kevin Gillikin" (the last name belonging to my mother's family.)  Go figure that, huh? Would you call that a nickname? Now his daughter, Sophie, calls him (or will, when she's a bit older) "Daddy."

Next was Jonathan Charles. We knew we were taking a chance that he'd be called "Johnny" which we didn't care for, but figured we'd insist he be called by his whole first name, or just Jon. So, he has never been called "Johny", but he was "Jon Jon" for the first ten years of his life.  Now a CMRI priest, he's Fr. Philip (for St. Philip Neri). When he was still in the seminary, his siblings dubbed him "BroPhi." But, I think (I hope?), that in the spirit of maintaining the dignity of his calling, that hasn't translated to "FaPhi" since he's been ordained.He does go by "Padre," "Fada," and "Uncle Father," though.

Our last boy of the top tier of Davis men was Dominic Alan. We thought the worst that could come of that name choice would be "Dom" or "Nick," both nicknames we could live with. But most of his childhood, he went by "Dominicky." Sometimes "Donkey." And now "Papa," since he has two little daughters.

Now, Michelle Frances is a whole other story. Our first girl, we wanted her to have a strong name, and a strong patron saint (Michael!) to protect her. We knew Michelle was a name prone  to multitudinous nicknames, but we had no idea how this girl would end up collecting them. Some of her siblings call her "Mitch," her older brothers call her "Chicky." I think they've actually forgotten her real name, honestly; I don't remember the last time I heard any of them call her "Michelle." I call her "Shelly" or "Shell," but her four kidlets ("chicklets?") call her "Mommy." A lot. (Right, Shelly?)

 Sister Antonia, or Theresa Philomena, started out with a nickname that translates rather well to her vocation now: "Sessy" or "Sess." But now it's just  "Sister," and it fits her like a glove. 

Next in line is Catherine Cecilia. As you'd guess, she commonly goes by "Cathy," though her sibs go one further -- or shorter -- and call her "Kaths" ("Kafs?") or "Keysern." She's in my phone as "Catherine the Magnificent" -- because she is. And she will be "Mommy" any day now!

Anna Germaine is girl #4 -- another name we figured would be hard to mutilate or mutate -- and nobody has dared mess with Anna. Or "Anna." (wink) But -- for reasons lost to history -- she popularly goes by "Lance" (by most all her sibs) and "Chad" (at Mater Dei). Don't ask me why. I have no idea.  But if she joins the Novitiate this March, she'll go by something else, altogether! (Please pray for her discernment!)

Then the last two boys, closing up ranks now. Gabriel Joseph, who's about 6' tall now, still goes by "Gabey" and even "Gabey-baby," poor guy -- but because he is who he is, he takes it in good humor. But mostly he answers to "Gabe." (Or "Wil...Gabe.)

William Thomas, though has never been shortened to "Will" or "Bill" or, heaven forbid, "Willy" or "Billy." It just never seemed appropriate to this kid; he's always gone by "William" -- except by his siblings, of course, who for unknown reasons started calling him "Bimpst" years ago, and "Crustbyn." What that means, I do not know. It's a mystery. (But I commonly refer to him as "Ga-William.") 

Now, my sister, Linda, in the tradition of our Dad and Grandad, devised her own special nicknames for each of the children, too. In order (I think): Pidge, PD, Sallie Anne, Mollie Dot, Pollie Anne, Bee, and  -- Ugh. I'm forgetting all the "Nina-names!" Who am I missing?  (I'm sure she'll tell me as soon as she sees this!) Molly-Dolly-PD-B -- Don't ask me. But, the children know to whom she's referring -- even though I sometimes get mixed up. 

"Unless ye become as little children..."
And Dan and me -- as parents? We're pretty traditional. As grown ups, our children call us Mom and Dad. Mostly. Sr. Antonia, endearingly, still calls us "Mommy" and "Daddy." (I love that!) And we go by "Mommom" and "Dandad" when the grandchildren (ten and counting!) are around. And we're pleased to go by "ma'am" and "sir" still, in terms of respect, something we've always encouraged -- just because it helps enforce the 4th Commandment, and it should be a given that we all respect our lawful authorities. BUT, that said, our nicknames -- all of them -- goofy as they are sometimes, are dearest to our hearts. I love hearing mine -- and I love hearing my children use theirs with one another. Nicknames are terms of endearment, shorthand for love. I imagine that the saints, and all those who become close to Our Lord, earn new names from Him -- the way priests and slaves of Mary earn angels. A goal, huh? To be on such close speaking terms with the Almighty and His Momma, that they have a name of endearment for us? I can just imagine, some of us he'd call His Lambs, others Lions -- but I'd be OK with "Goose." I think I'll aspire to that. 

Our given names, "boughten roses" are a wonderful thing, but wildflowers picked alongside the road while walking with a loved one are way better. Nicknames are a wonderful thing.

No comments: