Monday, August 30, 2021

Simple Woman Monday, Last Monday in August

For Today

Looking out my window... It's a relatively cool, partly cloudy day, with a chance of scattered thunderstorms later on. In other words, a day of promise! (Does that make me weird that I love changeable and interesting weather? Is everyone like that?)

I am thinking... as I'm still looking out the window, how much I love the play of light and shadow on the hills and trees beyond the cornfield over there. It's going to be a really fun year, watching the panorama change from the RV windows (where we can really see it all now), from the green of summer to the colors of autumn, to the snows of winter -- and back around again!

I am thankful... for Minnesota church friends who raise grass-fed beef. And a rump roast already in the pot this morning...

I am creating...  Not so much creating as figuring out how to hang what kind of curtains -- for both their thermal efficiency and attractiveness -- in the RV windows before the weather changes. I'm thinking a combination of thermal drapes and either thermal roller blinds or Roman blinds... Hoping I don't end up having to sew anything. (I'm a rotten seamstress. 😬)

am wearing... my comfy ankle-length brown skirt with a pink tee-shirt that has a picture of a perky, brown and white giraffe on the front -- and a shawl around my shoulders because it's too hot without any a/c on, but chilly where I am sitting, right under a vent.

I am reading... a short story collection of Graham Greene's works called "The Last Word."  Recommended, the short story of the same name -- pertinent to Catholics of apocalyptical sensibilities, if you're in the mood for something apocalyptical. 😉Makes you wonder what Graham Greene's thoughts were regarding the Church. He was born in 1904, converted in 1926, and died in 1991 -- so he saw a lot of history play out -- and had to have had opinions -- that I believe this story hints at.

I am hoping... to get rid of this back-ache without having to go to the chiropractor... 

Yup.

One more picture thought for the day...

Found this rack at Goodwill the other day! One of those things I'd have love to have had when I was still home schooling -- but works very nicely for keeping books handy for the grandbabies! And it's the perfect place to display a selection of my vintage magazine collection. (See the Home Companion and Victorias in there?)


2 comments:

auntie said...

I am curious about your RV plans. Doug and I lived in one for about 4 months but once the cold weather came we had to make other arrangements. It gets cold there too. Did you win the lottery, is the price of propane cheaper, or are you and Dan made of sterner stuff than Doug and I? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lisa said...

Well, here's the thing... We keep saying, "No telling if we'll be able to weather the winter out here. (Grimace)" But we're going to try. Our propane isn't terribly expensive for the house -- so we're having a new tank installed that will be used only for the RV -- because,as you know, it is expensive when you're just changing out the little propane tanks all the time! We did that for our first few weeks in here last spring -- and knew we'd have to do something more efficient -- and cheaper. Other than that, we're going to be insulating the underparts with skirting and haybales -- and trying to do as much insulating as we can with drapes... But the main plan is to build an RV shelter (hopefully this coming spring) that will hopefully help protect the RV -- but the main thing will be the Bonus Room -- a well-insulated, conventionally heated living space that we may end up using a lot for general living year-round -- but especially in the coldest part of winter... It's all experimental at this point, though, so who knows?? If all else fails, there's still plenty of room over at the Big House!