Sunday, March 28, 2021

Sunday Musings: Then and Now

Sr. Evangeline Marie

On her First Holy Communion Day, eleven years ago, seven years old.

On the Feast of the Annunciation, Anna's reception into the Congregation of the Mother of God (CMD)
in Omaha, Nebraska. Now she's Sr. Evangeline Marie, named for St. John the Evangelist -- who, incidentally, was the patron saint of our #3 son, now known as Fr. Philip Marie, CMRI. So we got our
St. John the Beloved back! (Not like we ever lost him of course -- but you know what I mean!)

 

What Thou Art to Me

As the bridegroom to his chosen,

As the king unto his realm, 

As the keep unto the castle,

As the pilot to the helm:

So, lord, art Thou to me.


As the fountain to the garden,

As the candle in the dark,

As the treasure in the coffer,

As the manna in the ark:

So, Lord, art Thou to me.


As the ruby in the setting,

As the honey in the comb,

As the light within the lantern,

As the father in the home:

So, Lord, art Thou to me.


As the sunshine in the darkness,

As the image to the glass,

As the fruit unto the fig tree,

As the dew unto the grass:

So, Lord, art Thou to me.

-- Br. Henry Suso

* Above poem Sr. Evangeline Marie shared with me a couple weeks ago. (We trade poetry. This child is my kindred spirit in many ways -- but so so the better person. Not a mini-me, a better me.)


Another side-by-side:

Receiving the brown scapular
from Fr. Anaya.

Receiving the habit of the CMD novitiate
from Bp. Pivarunas.




No comments: