Sunday, November 8, 2020

Random Question Day

Why?

               Why not? 

  1. 1. Do you bite or lick ice cream? I lick. Mostly. I think. Whatever it is that I do, I end up finishing faster than I should. Like all eating scenarios. I eat twice as fast as Dan. We went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch today and split an order of twenty wings -- and even though I was also talking twice as fast, I finished all my wings before he'd finished his first five. Here's the thing, though: he's the one who's probably going to have indigestion later. It may be that's more because of all my jibberjabbering, though...? (I'm not going to ask him.)
  2. 2. What is home to you? Having moved more than twenty-four times in my 56 years, I've learned better than most that this earth is my ship and not my home. The longest I ever lived in any house was the ten years we spent at the little farm out in Byers, Colorado, but I don't regret a single move we made. Though many might think it's a bad thing for a child (teen, adult, old person) to never have the security of a stationary home to rely upon (and I can see how someone with strong ties to one place might feel that way), I don't miss what I never had -- and actually rather feel that I've gained a perspective that in some ways can be a boon, spiritually and otherwise. I have very little attachment to things, as you might imagine, and even now consider the idea of moving and creating a comfortable and inviting home in a new place a challenge and a delight. I really do! You may think I'm crazy, but as much as I love our beautiful farmhouse in the Iowa Hills, having lived here five years now, I'm starting to get itchy feet! I'm going to need to paint some walls or something. Or maybe it's time we passed this way-too-big-for-us house on to one of the kids with a family and started to build the little cottage we've been dreaming of up on the hill... (Stay tuned for more on that thought.)
Anyway, that's the long answer. The short answer -- maybe the better answer -- is that my earthly home is where Dan is. And where the big green cabinet is. And my books. And the coffee pot.
  1. 3. What was the last lie you told? Oh golly. I never lie. And there you have it.
  2. 4. Does everyone deserve the truth? Yes, everyone deserves the truth, but there's a time and a place for it -- and a way of telling it. We never told our children that Santa or the Easter Bunny were real, for instance, but the truth of the mysteries of life -- how the stork delivers babies, you know -- should be revealed privately by a trusted authority (preferably Mom or Dad), with the appropriate amount of information at the appropriate age. 
  3. 5. Describe a moment in which you did something unacceptable in a bad situation. I have an overdeveloped sense of justice and an underdeveloped sense of propriety, and it has caused me and others conflict at times, I'm afraid. 
  4. When I was about twelve years old, my little sister was supposed to be helping my little brother load the dishwasher after having had dinner with our grandparents. As very often happened, my siblings got to bickering. If I recall properly, it was because my brother thought he was doing the lion's share of the work (and I think I agreed with him -- but then, he was my Irish Twin and I would have been on his side, regardless). So my brother was miffed and threatened to tell on my sis -- and in the mist of the decades since, I may have gotten the order of things turned around, but I think in response, she threw a piece of spaghetti on him and he retaliated by turning over the half-finished glass of iced tea he had in his hand over her head. And, of course, our Mom came in just in time to see the dousing and yelled at my brother. I butted in, trying to stand up for him, and made everything worse -- mainly for myself. Not for my sibs, though; they were probably pretty tickled that I took the spotlight off them... But I got into a rather regrettable fight with my Mom -- and ran away (my solution for most problems at that time), spending the rest of the day and into to dusk, sitting in a pecan tree on the golf course, eating pecans. I finally came home when I was so thirsty, I was pretty sure I was going to die. But, the long and short of it is that no justice was served except that I was justifiably placed on restriction to the house for a month. I'd embarrassing my Mom in front of her parents (badly done, Lis), but I'd embarrassed myself worse. I'm not sure grandparents ever thought the same about me after that. Little did they know, I really was not the problem child in my family; in fact I was the straight-A student who really never did cause trouble. But I never felt that way around them. I feel my ears getting red even as I type out this memory. I hope I learned something from it, but I'm not sure how well it's stuck. I still have an overdeveloped sense of justice. I feel sorry for the kaffoffle with my Mom so many years ago and have no trouble apologizing for that bad behavior. But nowadays the kaffoffles aren't about strands of spaghetti and iced tea dumpings, but in the defense of my Faith -- and (lately, especially) in the defense of freedom and the American way of life under the Constitution. I can't bring myself to apologize for that.


More Questions For Anyone Who Wants 'Em
(From a random question generator.)
I may tackle some another day. 
  1.  List two things that are more easily done than said. (No, I didn't mix them up.)
  2. When was the last time you worked really hard to achieve something?
  3. How many all nighters have you pulled?
  4. If humans didn't evolve to laugh or smile, how would we express our happiness instead?
  5. How many romantic "things" or "flings" have you had?
  6. What is your paradise?
  7. What is your favorite background noise? (Ex. Water dripping, people talking.)
  8. How many hearts do you think you have broken?
  9. What is the most important thing about electronics? What does this say about you?
  10. Why do people care about celebrities? Do you care about celebrities?
  11. What is the most annoying thing someone can do to you?
  12. Do you overexaggerate? What are the pros and cons of this?
  13. Have you played any instruments before? Which instruments?
  14. Do you like taking selfies? Why or why not?

No comments: